In June the Association of Medical Directors of Information Systems (AMDIS) meet in the awesome surroundings of Ojai, California to consider their agenda for the year.
Editor’s Note: AMDIS 2016 information and registration page is here.
Sessions titles and presenting faculty included:
- MU Stage 3 and HIE – Eisenberg
- Literature Review – Banas and Galanter
- Tools of our Tool – Ober
- AMIA Update – Fridsma
- Effective Informaticist – Rose
- Deriving Value NLP – Gutteridge
- Deriving Value – Annual Wellness Visit – Babitch
- MU Stage 2 and 3 – Schreiber
- Deriving Value – ICU Delirium – Schneider
- HIMSS Going Beyond EMRAM – The Value Score – Wise
- Deriving Value – Sepsis – Downing
- Better, Smarter, Healthier – McCoy
- Deriving Value – Sepsis – Pante
- AMDIS Gartner Survey – Shaffer
- United Kingdom HIT – Gutteridge
- Klas Review – Tate
- MU3 Public Health Measures – Stutman
- The emerging role of the CHIO – Arlotto
- OpenNotes AMDIS presentations
- Deriving Value – Alerts – Heaton
- Geisinger inter-app-ability: Experience with SMART/FHIR – Erskine
- Deriving Value – EHR Optimization – Shrift
As we continue down what one hopes is an evidence base and best practices informed path of HealthIT or tech fueled if not enabled accountable care (or better yet the holy grail of the triple aim) may we continue to be mindful of the limits of technology to make up for tired if not ill-aligned business models prevalent in U.S. healthcare delivery today. Production oriented delivery systems, still the majority model of U.S. healthcare, are slowing giving way to more ‘value’ oriented operating entities and thus increasingly risk bearing local market and regional resource managers. While on a slow burn since the 80s bundled payment, case rate pricing and even capitation are finding new converts. Even amidst conflicting incentives (value vs. volume) we must find both the bridge and enabling models that guide us into a sustainable healthcare economy.
CMIOs of healthcare systems – whether institutional or professional enterprises – may just be standing at the intersection of the essential clinical informatics ‘nervous system’ (both markets and operating entities) as well as the strategies to bridge this gap while creating a value based future.